Gradual degredation and then system locks up w/20070817

Discussion of ACPI driver (Power management, multi-processor support, PnP)
cgehr

Postby cgehr » Sat Aug 25, 2007 18:44

Since installing the ACPI-APM-20070817 packages, I have been having several problems:

Environment:
* eCS 1.2R, w/all known fixes as applied by eCSMT
* TPad T60 - Core Duo [not Core 2 Duo]
* GenMac for Network support, wired and wireless, generally working just fine now.
* Comet mouse [which is the only way I know the system is about to lock up]
[If more specifics are required, please ask.]

1) All of a sudden the mouse 'tail' does not disappear from the screen. The system gets slower and slower and eventually clicking on any window, object, etc., does nothing. ReBoot is required.

2) IF I happen to catch #1 soon enough and can click on eCenter to try to ReBoot, I sometimes get as far as clicking on 'Shutdown' but then nothing happens. A-C-D brings up the small message box that "System is rebooting..." but it just hangs there. The Power Off Button is required to complete the shutdown/reboot. And, I have to hold the button down for about 5 seconds before the system will actually power off. Power On then reboots OK. Usually, but not always, the HD volumes are clean and CHKDSKs are not required.

The time from one reboot to the failure/lock up varies from a few minutes [less than ten] to hours. I cannot tie the problem to any application. I've stopped all user tasks such as PMMail, SeaMonkey, editors, et al. The system remains locked except for being able to move the mouse around. [The comet trail usually remains on the screen 'permanently' until I reboot.]

I have not yet gone to the effort of trying to back out the 20070817 level. I installed with the 'acpifu-20070817.wpi' file, so I assume WarpIN can do this. [I've never had to back out any package before.]

Any ideas, suggestions? Any other documentation that I can provide?

TIA,
Carl

Eugene Gorbunoff
Site Admin

Postby Eugene Gorbunoff » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:23

yes, please grab the log: copy acpica$ acpi.log
attach it to your ticket: http://svn.netlabs.org/acpi/ticket/37

btw, try different version of Mouse driver.

cgehr

Postby cgehr » Sun Aug 26, 2007 17:53

Log file added: ACPI-01.Log.

Well, I guess I could try a different mouse driver, but this one had been working very well for months. It is the latest level with the fix provided via eCSMT:
1-12-06 4:55p 33,313 0 a--- MOUSE.SYS

Carl

cgehr

Postby cgehr » Sun Aug 26, 2007 20:42

Further update, sympotoms:

* I do not think the mouse has anything to do with the problem. It is an INDICATOR of the problem about to happen, but is irrelevant to the problem.

* I am becoming more convinced that it is some tie in between ACPI/APM and the shutdown process. I don't know if eCenter is involved or not.

Why? When the slowdown problem occurs, eCenter:
* Stops registering CPU usage.
* Stops registering Network adapter activity.
* Clicking on the eCS icon in eCenter and selecting shutdown freezes all other objects.

Any attempt to shut the system down to avoid dirty volumes locks out all other objects.
I also tried issuing SHUTDOWN from a command window. The same behavior as using eCenter.

Note: In both cases [eCenter and SHUTDOWN], the expected window with shutdown options does NOT appear. Sometimes, using A-C-D will report, "Shutdown in process..." but with or without that message, the only way to complete the shutdown is to manually POWER OFF with the power off button. And, this requires holding the button down for, what appears to me to be, an excessive interval. i.e., It usually takes about five seconds before the screen goes blank and the indicator lights actually go off.

I don't know if there is any connection, but with ACPI installed and prior to this specific slowdown problem, no matter how I shut the system down, it would not reboot without a manual power off. Using the 'Power Off' option does not work. In fact, any option other than 'Shutdown' results in CHKDSK running due to dirty HDs.

I hope this, along with the log file I posted earlier, provides more clues about the problems I've been having.

TIA,
Carl

cgehr

Backed out to acpi-apm-20070809

Postby cgehr » Mon Aug 27, 2007 05:16

The system ran for several hours today without locking up. But, then it failed as I've described and repeatedly did so numerous times immediately after rebooting. I could get no work done at all. So, I have backed out to the acpi-apm-20070809 level. Hopefully this will provide a more stable system. If there is any testing that is required that necessitates moving to the acpi-apm-20070817 level, I will do my best to accommodate such a request.
Carl

cgehr

Backlevel has had no failures...

Postby cgehr » Tue Aug 28, 2007 07:27

After about 36 hours since i backed off to 2007-08-09 I have had no failures or problems with lockups.

Again, I've posted the log to the ticket as requested. If there's anything else required, please let me know. [I would have posted all this to the problem ticket, but it appears that I'm not authorized to login there.]

Carl

cgehr

Hello! Anyone there?

Postby cgehr » Sun Sep 02, 2007 21:50

Still failing! Please see ticket for more, latest details and status.

Eugene Gorbunoff
Site Admin

Postby Eugene Gorbunoff » Sun Sep 02, 2007 22:01

btw, please post more info about the notebook (for example, ethernet network adapter *and* which driver) -- http://ecomstation.ru/hardware.php?action=new

Eugene Gorbunoff
Site Admin

Postby Eugene Gorbunoff » Sun Sep 02, 2007 22:58

I asked this because ..

maybe there is a problem with device drivers. try disable all devices. Does notebook work well? enable devices and drivers one by one. (I talk about 3-5 drivers)

cgehr

Hardware reported as requested...

Postby cgehr » Sun Sep 02, 2007 23:26

Drivers that were working before the 200708xx levels of ACPI/APM have not changed. Those functions are working just fine. I'm not sure how to disable, for example, network adapters and mouse driver and still have a system that can do anything. The only display driver that works [AFAIK] is the SNAP 318/Build 505. This has also been working fine since Dec-2006. If there is some other driver that you want me to disable, please be more specific.

I might also mention the two Config.Sys statements that I am using:
PSD=ACPI.PSD /SMP /NOD /R
basedev=apm.add
RUN=C:\OS2\ACPIDAEMON.EXE
I have no idea if these are correct or not. Most of the documentation assumes far more technical understanding of PC hardware and eCS internal functions than I have. If there are other options that you would like me to try, feel free to make suggestions.

Eugene Gorbunoff
Site Admin

Postby Eugene Gorbunoff » Sun Sep 02, 2007 23:34

IMHO,

Core Duo => /SMP /R /APIC (check the drivers ACPI-SMP-DRV.doc)
or /SMP /R /PIC

Eugene Gorbunoff
Site Admin

Postby Eugene Gorbunoff » Tue Sep 04, 2007 13:28

You have HDAudio.

Do you load uniaud driver? If yes, then try disable it in CONFIG.SYS. Does system work better after this?

Return to “ACPI for eComStation”