Perfect eComStation -- Must have Flash 8/9

Discussion of future versions / Обсуждение будущих версий системы
mikeforester

Perfect eComStation -- Must have Flash 8/9

Postby mikeforester » Mon Feb 25, 2008 05:41

I installed RC4 the other day and it went quite well, but it installs Flash 5. That's just useless; I hate to think what a new user would think the first time he fired up Firefox and the vast majority of websites that use Flash don't work.

Ideally this would be a native, stable version of Flash that doesn't crash the browser every hour, too.
-Mike

martini

Postby martini » Mon Feb 25, 2008 16:39

uhm. The suggestion is good, but how we can pull this out ?

1) Giving money to Adobe to allow licensing flash for eCS, plus all the work that had to be done to compile flash for eCS?

2) Trying to improve GNASH port (flash 7) and make a Mozilla plug in from it?

3) Try to hack flash 9 for Windows to run under eCS ? (but there is possible license issues about it)

any other suggestion?

diver

Postby diver » Mon Feb 25, 2008 18:13

1) Giving money to Adobe to allow licensing flash for eCS, plus all the work that had to be done to compile flash for eCS?

i don't think that adobe will listen at all

2) Trying to improve GNASH port (flash 7) and make a Mozilla plug in from it?

this is the only real solution i see right now

3) Try to hack flash 9 for Windows to run under eCS ? (but there is possible license issues about it)

thats possible as well, but due to licensing issues it will never be possible to deliver it legal
regards
Silvan (aka _diver)

David McKenna

Postby David McKenna » Mon Feb 25, 2008 19:37

Not having a reliable Flash plugin is a major reason people I know don't want to use eCS. Gnash is a good long term solution (if it works), but by it's nature will always be behind the current Flash. A generic Win (or Linux?) plugin wrapper would be ideal (I believe Linux has such a thing?) that is optimized for Flash, but doesn't need to be distributed with any of the Win code (the user must get that themself from a Win installation).

cris

Postby cris » Mon Feb 25, 2008 23:19

Hi David!

David McKenna wrote:Not having a reliable Flash plugin is a major reason people I know don't want to use eCS. Gnash is a good long term solution (if it works), but by it's nature will always be behind the current Flash. A generic Win (or Linux?) plugin wrapper would be ideal (I believe Linux has such a thing?) that is optimized for Flash, but doesn't need to be distributed with any of the Win code (the user must get that themself from a Win installation).

I'm not sure, but I think Adobe's license prohibits *running* their Windows flash player on another platform. It's not only a problem of distribution IIRC.

Bye
Cris

David McKenna

Postby David McKenna » Mon Feb 25, 2008 23:33

cris wrote:Hi David!

I'm not sure, but I think Adobe's license prohibits *running* their Windows flash player on another platform. It's not only a problem of distribution IIRC.

Bye
Cris

Exactly how are they going to know? Even if they did, how will they enforce it? And what would be the penalty if they could? They are giving it away for free after all...

At least here in the US, it would be totally unenforcable. This is the kind of consideration only a large corporation would (possibly) care about anyway.

In any case, with a generic wrapper, it would be up to the user to decide (as it should be)...

mikeforester

Postby mikeforester » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:50

There is a Linux program called nspluginwrapper that allows native 32-bit Linux plugins, like Flash, to work on 64-bit Linux. I'm not aware of any wrappers that allow the Windows version to be used.

If I remember the story right, the reason Innotek never released Flash 7 for OS/2 had less to do with paying a license fee to Macromedia than with the emulation restriction.

I'm not saying it would be cheap or easy to get a working, current Flash version on eCS. What I am saying is that without one, the potential for attracting and keeping new users is seriously undercut.

Like it or not, the underlying OS matters less and less these days. As long as you have a web browser, plus Flash, Java, and reasonable multimedia support, it hardly matters what OS you're on. For eCS, the web browser is happily up to date, and Ko Myung-hun has singlehandedly fixed the multimedia problems. Flash and Java are the weak points.
-Mike

Qetzlcoatl

Re: Perfect eComStation -- Must have Flash 8/9

Postby Qetzlcoatl » Fri Apr 25, 2008 13:54

I think that not Flash9 itself is Main Mising Thing, but Adobe AIR. Right now it is "new framework", but in year or two it will replace "plain" Flash on most sites, especialy corporative ones.
Adobe is restrictive and closed company. But in its battle of AIR vs SilverLight it can be more interested in alternative platforms for its framework.
MS Silverlight is very important too. I see it is working fine on Win32, Linux and MacOSX. Why is it missed in eCS? Hey, developers!

Qetzlcoatl

Postby Qetzlcoatl » Fri May 02, 2008 18:35

http://www.adobe.com/openscreenproject/
Does Adobe have a spy inside my mind? :)

Eugene Gorbunoff
Site Admin

Postby Eugene Gorbunoff » Wed Jun 03, 2009 20:14

OK,
Flash Player 10 is implemented, the target is achieved.

Return to “Perfect eComStation / Будущая идеальная eCS”