i852/i855 GM/GME Support

Panorama video drivers, development of video players
mrjinx

i852/i855 GM/GME Support

Postby mrjinx » Thu Oct 11, 2007 17:16

I have been unable to get any color depth beyond 256 colors with Panorama or SNAP with this video chipset. The Intel i830M suffers the same issue. It appears that only 832k of shared ram is allocated to the video. As these chipsets are only used in mini form factor laptop/mobile solutions, Dell C400, D400, Toshiba Portege and compaq concerto laptops. There are no bios options to set the amount of shared ram as there was for the i810 and i815 from the old days.

Doing a little research, It was found that linux had suffered the same problem with Xfree86 until recently. There are 2 patches and source 1. patches direct access to cpu memory. 2. patches AGP GART to use the extra memory. This also affects the other intel "extreme" family of chipsets as well.

See http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~chak/linux/c400.html
Is there any help I can provide?

Thx...

Eugene Gorbunoff
Site Admin

Postby Eugene Gorbunoff » Thu Oct 11, 2007 17:43

OK, I forward your message to the developer of Panorama VESA

mrjinx

Thanks, Eugene

Postby mrjinx » Fri Oct 12, 2007 05:02

Here is a little bit more detail.
http://www.kekez.ca/dell/
Both the i830 and i855 share the same memory configuration. I own both a Dell D400 (i855) and a C400 (i830) SNAP never supported the i830 but before buying a used D400 I had checked for i855 support. It was a real letdown to end up with the same problem on both machines. Reading the SNAP forum, If the bios didn't support setting the shared ram value, You are out of luck. Reading intel's support forums, They blame the manufacturer's for being too cheap to add the bios options.
I think the affected # of laptops is much larger than I thought. It seems to be commonly used in many laptops that have 12.1in and smaller screens. The memory architecture for the intel i9xx series is slightly different but close enough that only a few mods may be required to fix the whole family of video processors.

Thanks again for asking the developers to look at it and I can provide dumps or any other details/testing if needed.

Return to “Panorama videodriver”