New fast VESA video driver for eComStation

Panorama video drivers, development of video players
Eugene Gorbunoff
Site Admin

New fast VESA video driver for eComStation

Postby Eugene Gorbunoff » Fri Apr 20, 2007 09:31

eCo Software and Mensys BV have reached an agreement to create a generic VESA driver for eComStation.

This driver is called "Panorama VESA", and supports all VESA 2.0 compatible video adapters, which then can be used with the eComStation operating system. Until now some modern chipsetswere not properly supported by the Scitech SNAP driver that is included with eComStation.

The driver is currently under active development. The goal is to achieve maximum performance, support multi-core computers, allow users to work normally with their web-browser, watch DVD and to generally use their PC for everyday work.

How to obtain this driver

An early preview of this driver is available via the eComStation BetaZone to customers who have an active Software Subscription Services.

Requirements

Panorama VESA may be installed over GENGRAD, SDDGRAD or SNAP. To get maximum performance on a Core 2 Duo or AMD X2 based computer, the ACPI subsystem should be installed. ACPI can be obtained seperately from the eComStation BetaZone but is also an install option with eComStation 2.0 (beta 2 and higher).

More information

Homepage of the Panorama video drivers -- http://ecomstation.ru/panorama
Software Subscription Services: http://www.ecomstation.com/subscription/

About Mensys BV

Mensys started out in 1993 with filling the gap that IBM left open with regard to OS/2 software. Developers had great difficulty making their OS/2 product visible on the market. Mensys started to contact OS/2 resellers and distributors worldwide and built an extensive distribution network. Mensys has obtained worldwide distribution rights to eComStation and is actively supporting it's further development.

About eCo Software

eCo Software is a small group of professional developers creating drivers, WPS applications and system utilities for eComStation.

Gabriele

Fastest than SNAP?

Postby Gabriele » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:03

HI Eugene, on Panorama FAQ I read:

Q1: Which driver is faster? IBM GENGRAD, SDDGRAD or Panorama VESA?
A1: Panorama VESA is faster than SDDGRAD, SDDGRAD is faster than GENGRAD

Do you mean that Panorama VESA is faster than Scitech SNAP in VESA mode, or that it is faster than Scitech SNAP accelerated mode??

Bye
Gabriele

wuno

Re: New fast VESA video driver for eComStation

Postby wuno » Wed Apr 25, 2007 18:49

Eugene Gorbunoff wrote:eCo Software and Mensys BV have reached an agreement to create a generic VESA driver for eComStation.

How to obtain this driver

An early preview of this driver is available via the eComStation BetaZone to customers who have an active Software Subscription Services.

I'd really like to test it on ECS2.0b4 with my ATI RADEONX1650 that can use only VESA modes with scitech drivers, but I can't find it in BetaZone though I an active Subscription.
Should the drivers be there and shall I ask Mensys if I'm entitled to download? Thanks Walter
Just to mention I cannot login via http://betazone.ecomstation.nl/ but I can go to beta-zone (to download acpi and so on) via mensys.net or ecomstation directly.

Runs fine now, thanks (panorama-vesa-20070427.ZIP) and also with atombios.sys on my 1440x900 19" widescreen (vga) flatpanel. ATI Radeon X1650-GTO
Last edited by wuno on Thu May 10, 2007 01:07, edited 1 time in total.

Eugene Gorbunoff
Site Admin

Postby Eugene Gorbunoff » Wed Apr 25, 2007 18:55

I can't help with login to betazone.. Remember when you have registered, visit mensys site and find info when the subscription expires (the site writes different dates).

If you have subscription then
http://ecomstation.ru/mensys.html

Panorama files:
http://betazone.ecomstation.nl/index.ph ... d=43&tab=3
Last edited by Eugene Gorbunoff on Wed May 02, 2007 10:05, edited 1 time in total.

wuno

Postby wuno » Wed Apr 25, 2007 23:50

Eugene Gorbunoff wrote:I can't help with login to betazone.. Remember when you registered, visit mensys site and find info when the subscription expires (the site write different dates).

If you have subscription then
http://ecomstation.ru/mensys.html

Panorama files:
http://betazone.ecomstation.nl/index.ph ... d=43&tab=3

Though the link didn't work directly I could use the project_id to find it finally. Sorry I've simply overseen it (didn't look for Panorama, but something like graphic drivers or so) I will try the drivers and post results. Thanks for your good work Walter

geert

Postby geert » Fri Apr 27, 2007 21:47

This video driver is very fast under ACPI SMP

Where can I find the file PANOGREXX.DLL as mentioned in Panorama.doc (20070427)

copy PANOGREX.DLL to x:\os2\dll

or is this file not needed.

Thx

Eugene Gorbunoff
Site Admin

Postby Eugene Gorbunoff » Fri Apr 27, 2007 21:54

Please, post report: which video adapter do you use, etc.
PANOGREX is used to control text parameters, dpi, etc. Wait for new version of Panorama VESA.

melf

Postby melf » Wed May 02, 2007 10:00

Hello!
Just tried the panorama vesa driver on my LG F122PTV core duo. Well it works great. For the first time I can use the widescreen resolutions, which didn't work in SNAP. Graphics card is Intel 82945GM. It is just a little bit slower than SNAP, which support this card in accelerated mode, but very much faster than their VESA driver. I'm really impressed.

You guys on eco software really do great stuff!

Robert_L

Postby Robert_L » Wed May 02, 2007 17:48

melf wrote:on my LG F122PTV core duo. Well it works great. For the first time I can use the widescreen resolutions, which didn't work in SNAP. Graphics card is Intel 82945GM.

Good to hear that it works for you at 1280*800 widescreen resolution.

Btw, is there anyone who owns one of those fancy 24" flat screens at 1920*1200 resolution, connected to Intel graphics chipset? I have no possiblity to check out if the widescreen activation for Intel bios really works at such high resolution. I read about, that maybe some "reduced timings" are required, whatever that actually means.

melf

Postby melf » Thu May 03, 2007 10:49

Hard facts by sysbench 0.95 on the very same LG:

Panorama:
PM-graphics marks: 60.471
DIVE-marks: 2073.574

SNAP:
PM-graphics marks: 269.409
DIVE-marks: 2037.804

/Mikael

Robert_L

Postby Robert_L » Thu May 03, 2007 14:30

melf wrote:Panorama:
PM-graphics marks: 60.471

SNAP:
PM-graphics marks: 269.409

Sysbench tends to over-weight individual very high scores, like "Filled Rectangle". For today's applications having lots of pictures as well as anti-aliased text, the by far most important scores are:
- BitBlt S->S copy
- BitBlt M->S copy
What is the difference between SNAP and Panorama of those two scores?

melf

Postby melf » Thu May 03, 2007 14:55

Robert_L wrote:Sysbench tends to over-weight individual very high scores, like "Filled Rectangle". For today's applications having lots of pictures as well as anti-aliased text, the by far most important scores are:
- BitBlt S->S copy
- BitBlt M->S copy
What is the difference between SNAP and Panorama of those two scores?

PAnorama:

BitBit S->S copy 207.728
BitBit M->S copy 265.971

SNAP:

BitBit S->S copy 472.180
BitBit M->S copy 376.057

/Mikael

Robert_L

Postby Robert_L » Thu May 03, 2007 15:14

OK, about 50% speed compared to accelerated SNAP, that's what I would have expected.
Actually "bitblit" scores of 200+ are not so bad. This means that a 1280*800 laptop screen can be completely rewritten 200 times per second.

melf

Postby melf » Thu May 03, 2007 15:17

That is more like my impression of the performance. I found it slightly slower than SNAP.

LightElf

Postby LightElf » Sat May 05, 2007 01:35

melf wrote:That is more like my impression of the performance. I found it slightly slower than SNAP.

The intention for Panorama VESA was not to outperform HW-accelerated SNAP, but to make eCS usable with new (and unsupported by SNAP) graphics chipsets.

melf

Postby melf » Sat May 05, 2007 10:03

I understand that, and that's why I am impressed, with a performance experienced as just slightly slower than SNAP in an accelerated mode. Its really great!

Return to “Panorama videodriver”