Why /!NOD for AMD X2 and nVidia?

Discussion of ACPI driver (Power management, multi-processor support, PnP)
Alan Beagley

Why /!NOD for AMD X2 and nVidia?

Postby Alan Beagley » Thu Mar 27, 2008 19:11

I have been having a terrible time trying to get my Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe's HD Audio to work with the recent UniAud builds: the first sound would play OK but the second would lock the machine solid.

Another user reported that his was working fine. When we compared our various different settings, it turned out that he did not have the /!NOD parameter that Pasha's docs. say is necessary.

I've removed the /!NOD parameter, and now the machine no longer locks up when I try to play a second sound. (I still have to get the SCSI card working again by fiddling with REMAP parameters, but that's another story.)

PS: Now that the forum configuration has changed, all the prompts I see while writing this message are in Russian. How do I fix that?
Alan

Eugene Gorbunoff
Site Admin

Re: Why /!NOD for AMD X2 and nVidia?

Postby Eugene Gorbunoff » Thu Mar 27, 2008 19:38

ok.. you see, you have complex configuration..

you can add the description of current state to your report:
http://ecomstation.ru/hardware.php?action=item&id=1193

forum:
hmm..
go to the properties (?) ucp.php?i=165
select British English from a combo-box

Alan Beagley

Postby Alan Beagley » Tue Apr 01, 2008 20:16

Eugene Gorbunoff wrote:ok.. you see, you have complex configuration..

you can add the description of current state to your report:
http://ecomstation.ru/hardware.php?action=item&id=1193

Unless the mere presence of a SCSI card counts as "complex," I don't see my configuration as complex at all: just one device -- apart from the video -- that's not integrated into the motherboard.

The main problem, it seems to me, is that adding /!NOD prevents any devices from using high IRQs.
Alan

Alan Beagley

Postby Alan Beagley » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:44

Alan Beagley wrote:I have been having a terrible time trying to get my Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe's HD Audio to work with the recent UniAud builds: the first sound would play OK but the second would lock the machine solid.

Another user reported that his was working fine. When we compared our various different settings, it turned out that he did not have the /!NOD parameter that Pasha's docs. say is necessary.

I've removed the /!NOD parameter, and now the machine no longer locks up when I try to play a second sound. (I still have to get the SCSI card working again by fiddling with REMAP parameters, but that's another story.)

Perhaps the ability to dispense with the /!NOD parameter was an aberration with ACPI 3.07. When I updated to ACPI 3.08 the machine would hang on the boot logo unless I restored the /!NOD parameter. And with an updated UniAud driver (1.9.2) the sound works fine as well.
Alan

Return to “ACPI for eComStation”