Installing eCS in Qemu emulator

Discussion of ACPI driver (Power management, multi-processor support, PnP)
Gabriele

Installing eCS in Qemu emulator

Postby Gabriele » Thu Oct 19, 2006 13:53

Hi all,

I'm trying to install eCS 2.0 beta under Qemu emulator on WinXP, but I
get this error at boot:

"The system cannot find the file "RESOURCE.SYS". This device [...] is
not located in the default path [...].
The system is stopped."

Enabling ACPI emulation, the error becomes:

"The system cannot find the PSD file "acpi.psd". This Platform Specific
Driver (PSD) is not located [blah blah blah]. System stopped."

Trying with Italian version of eCS 1.2MR I get a trap 000e in module
RESOURCE. What is strange is that plain Warp 4 installs fine in Qemu!!!

I know this is not really ACPI-related but, as the trap is in the resource.sys area, maybe here I can find some suggestions??

Bye and thank you in advance!

Robert_L

Postby Robert_L » Thu Oct 19, 2006 21:47

OS/2 and eCS make use of a larger subset of the highly complex i386 instruction set, compared to most other systems. So it is likely that you triggerd a so far undetected bug or limitation in Qemu.

magog96

Postby magog96 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 00:05

The last time I checked (1st week in August) eCS 1.2R on WindowsXP SP2 and VMWare (the currently free version) it wasn't working either.
Known to work on Windows are SVISTA (also Parallels Workstation) and MS VirtualPC (just download it from Microsoft).

Maybe with AMD Pacifica (Athlon64 versions for AM2 socket) and Intel Vanderpool (e.g. Core2) also Xen may work (but Xen doesn't run on Windows - http://xensource.com/).
Kind regards,
Juergen Ulbts

Gabriele

Postby Gabriele » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:08

Robert_L wrote:OS/2 and eCS make use of a larger subset of the highly complex i386 instruction set, compared to most other systems. So it is likely that you triggerd a so far undetected bug or limitation in Qemu.

Hi Robert,

I *can* install Warp4 in Qemu without problems! It has in fact a documented procedure:

http://sites.mpc.com.br/ric/qemu/index.html

but I can't install eCS 1.2MR nor 2.0... I don't know if I still have images of eCS version 1.0 and 1.1: it would be interesting to know when the incompatibility arises.

Robert_L

Postby Robert_L » Sat Oct 21, 2006 19:50

Gabriele wrote:but I can't install eCS 1.2MR nor 2.0... I don't know if I still have images of eCS version 1.0 and 1.1: it would be interesting to know when the incompatibility arises.

All eCS versions 1.0...2.0 are based on the "Warp Server for e-Business" codebase, sometimes called "Warp 4.5", which contains a lot of changes compared to the original Warp4.

Robert_L

Postby Robert_L » Sat Oct 21, 2006 20:03

magog96 wrote:The last time I checked (1st week in August) eCS 1.2R on WindowsXP SP2 and VMWare (the currently free version) it wasn't working either.

Reportedly VMWare does not fully support the full i386 ring0...ring3 segmented memory model. Most guest OS only need ring0 & ring3, but OS/2 needs additionally ring2. Once there existed a VMWare4 beta version with some OS/2 support, but the modifications were not taken over to the final product.

Maybe with AMD Pacifica (Athlon64 versions for AM2 socket) and Intel Vanderpool (e.g. Core2) also Xen may work.

I hope so. But apparently no OS/2 aware developers are working on the Xen project.

magog96

Postby magog96 » Sun Oct 22, 2006 14:55

Robert_L wrote:
magog96 wrote:The last time I checked (1st week in August) eCS 1.2R on WindowsXP SP2 and VMWare (the currently free version) it wasn't working either.

Reportedly VMWare does not fully support the full i386 ring0...ring3 segmented memory model. Most guest OS only need ring0 & ring3, but OS/2 needs additionally ring2.

I know but some month back I was in contact with someone who got it OS/2 installed (Warp 3 or 4 - not sure).
In my attempt with eCS 1.2R the installation crashed in DANIS506.ADD (I also tried the IBM1S506.ADD).

Robert_L wrote:
magog96 wrote:Maybe with AMD Pacifica (Athlon64 versions for AM2 socket) and Intel Vanderpool (e.g. Core2) also Xen may work.

I hope so. But apparently no OS/2 aware developers are working on the Xen project.

As SVISTA is dead a new project does make sense and I see only two options.
-Working with VMWare to implement the missing stuff to run OS/2 or eCS as guest OS and port VMWare ---> closed source + NDA (like with SVISTA and we know what happend)
-Working on Xen (OpenSource)! The only way OS/2 or eCS will work (as we can't modify the Kernel which is a must to run it on older CPUs) is to use the hardware virtualization stuff (AMD Pacifica/Intel Vanderpool).
Without knowing Xen in detail I think only the Xen application has to be ported (which is currently limited to Linux/Unix platforms).

Xen seems to be more attractive from an outsider point view because it's OpenSource, but VMWare is also very good and experience to add the needed ring2 support is available (Innotek and eCoSoft).
I think I'll talk with Robert Henschel about it as he was involved in the SVISTA project and was in contact with Bob St.John.

On the new Innotek Website there is also some talk about Virtualization but details are not yet available (http://www.innotek.de/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=22&Itemid=37).
Innotek worked with Connectix to port VirtualPC to OS/2 (unless Microsoft bought Connectix in 2003). It had the same result (no new VPC on OS/2) just like the takeover of Parallels (end of 2003 - http://www.serenityvirtual.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1713) which ended the SVISTA development.
Kind regards,

Juergen Ulbts

Robert_L

Postby Robert_L » Mon Oct 23, 2006 14:37

magog96 wrote:Working on Xen (OpenSource)! The only way OS/2 or eCS will work (as we can't modify the Kernel which is a must to run it on older CPUs) is to use the hardware virtualization stuff (AMD Pacifica/Intel Vanderpool).
Without knowing Xen in detail I think only the Xen application has to be ported (which is currently limited to Linux/Unix platforms).

As far as I understand, with hardware based XEN there exists a hypervisor software having full system management rights that runs in any lightweight os, typically a stripped down Linux. Then there are multiple guest os being unmodified traditional os (Windows, eCS, Linux, maybe MacOS) where the actual applications are running. While memory and cpu sharing is comparedly simple with latest AMD/Intel cpus, the sharing of peripherals like USB devices or graphics card without loosing too much of performance is not that simple and not really solved. That's the reason why XEN is currently targeted to server applications mainly.

Return to “ACPI for eComStation”