ACPI v2.22 + ASUSA8V + AMD Dual Core 4200 now works partialy

Discussion of ACPI driver (Power management, multi-processor support, PnP)
KeiMarjerison

ACPI v2.22 + ASUSA8V + AMD Dual Core 4200 now works partialy

Postby KeiMarjerison » Tue May 29, 2007 03:27

Hello All;
The latest version of the ACPI package has finally allowed me to boot to a working Desktop that recognizes my Dual core AMD CPU on an ASUS motherboard with VIA chipset. The system seems stable but neither ACPI or APM power functions work at all. If the APM.ADD driver is used the system starts the shutdown process but stops when it gets to the window that says it will turn off shortly but never does. A reset is required to get it running again, and the drives were not properly shut down so it does a 'chkdsk'.
When trying to use ACPI, the shutdown window itself reports an ACPI error, and of course nothing happens when you try to Power Off. The 'IRQStat' program from the 'Util' directory also reports an ACPI error.
On the positive side, it finally boots in SMP mode.
When I have more time I will send in the driver logs and test results.
Great work, your getting closer. :)

KeiMarjerison

ACPI v2.22 + ASUSA8V + AMD Dual Core 4200, revised

Postby KeiMarjerison » Mon Jun 04, 2007 23:18

Hello All;
I think I have ACPI v2.22 working correctly now. It appears that my system is now running in ACPI mode with no ACPI errors. The Desktop shuts down properly now, and the system restarts without any resets part way through startup. I removed the 'ADD' drivers from my 'config.sys' and shutdown now shows uptime instead of acpi error.
Most of my problems are now related to USB support. I have a USB mouse, keyboard, floppy drive, scanner, printer, MSD digital camera and several card readers, all of which work with the IBM's 'OS2APIC.PSD' . I can only get the mouse and keyboard to work with the ACPI package. Plugging in any MSD device is usually not recognized, you have to plug and unplug it several times. Trying to access the device causes a system freeze that needs a reset to unlock.
Any suggestions on the USB side would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance. :)

Eugene Gorbunoff
Site Admin

Postby Eugene Gorbunoff » Mon Jun 04, 2007 23:42

read troubleshooting.doc

* try /CD
* try BIOS Setup -> change USB Legacy
* don't load drivers for all controllers
* etc

KeiMarjerison

ACPI v2.22 + ASUSA8V + AMD Dual Core 4200 now works, no USB

Postby KeiMarjerison » Thu Jun 07, 2007 01:06

Eugene Gorbunoff wrote:read troubleshooting.doc

* try /CD
* try BIOS Setup -> change USB Legacy
* don't load drivers for all controllers
* etc

Hello Eugene;
Went through the Docs a couple more times and turned off USB legacy, USB 2.0, reserved irq 3,5 and 7 in bios, no improvement. System resets on ejection of removable USB MSD device.
Have tried /CD switch along with /TMR and /EIS.
Have tried moving USBEHCD.SYS from in front of USBUHCD.SYS to back, have tried REMing out USBEHCD.SYS and then alternately all 3 USBUHCD.SYS and still get a system reset on attempted ejection of USB device. Have even tried replacing IBM mouse support with AMouse support but this does not help either. Late last night in some of my testing my Test Partition has become corrupted and will no longer load usbresmg.sys at startup.
Note that I have never had a trap with v2.22 just system resets with the accompanying dirty drives on reboot, which probably caused the usbresmg.sys problem.
Will wait for the next ACPI update and reinstall Beta 4 and try again.
Thanks for getting me closer than before, at least I can boot to a working Desktop now. :)

Return to “ACPI for eComStation”