ACPI success but no APIC mode on Intel D975XBX2

Discussion of ACPI driver (Power management, multi-processor support, PnP)
TrevorHemsley

ACPI success but no APIC mode on Intel D975XBX2

Postby TrevorHemsley » Tue May 15, 2007 02:41

Thanks for all the work on acpi.psd.

I have a report of some success on an Intel D975XBX2 motherboard with a Core2Duo processor. I had 2.18 installed previously and this would work but only using /SMP /R /PIC /!NOD. Any other combination with /SMP ended in failure.

Tonight I upgraded to 20070507 and can now enable /NOD as well. This means I can now run the utilities that came with the ACPI distribution where they all failed before. Great.

Now I'd love to be able to get APIC mode working as well. I get as far as loading the genmac driver as the last thing listed on an Alt+F2 boot but then it locks up. This is normally the point at which it would clear the screen and display the SNAP banner (SNAP 3.1.8 here) but this hangs completely. I can't Ctrl-Alt-Del from this one, a Ctrl-Alt-Numlock-Numlock sort of works in that if I subsequently try Ctrl-Alt-Del it will _then_ display the 'insert a diskette to begin dumping' message but I can never soft reboot from this - I can only go and hit the reset button.

I've tried /SMP /R /APIC /NOD /CD as well as removing the Connectix VPC driver from config.sys (the one that says it's disabling APIC mode as it loads!). With /APIC I need /CD to get past loading USBEHCD.SYS.

Is there anything else I can try to get APIC mode working? Any info I can provide to help the developers debug this?

mikeforester

Re: ACPI success but no APIC mode on Intel D975XBX2

Postby mikeforester » Sat Jun 02, 2007 05:22

TrevorHemsley wrote:I've tried /SMP /R /APIC /NOD /CD as well as removing the Connectix VPC driver from config.sys (the one that says it's disabling APIC mode as it loads!).

Trevor,

There's a switch for that:

DEVICE=C:\VirtualPC\vpcapp.sys /apic

will cause VPC to use the hardware APIC for high-res timing. I don't think it has any effect on the OS, though, it's strictly a VPC thing.
-Mike

TrevorHemsley

Re: ACPI success but no APIC mode on Intel D975XBX2

Postby TrevorHemsley » Sun Oct 21, 2007 05:07

TrevorHemsley wrote:Lots of stuff

Tonight I upgraded to ACPI 3.03 and had some fun and games. Just installing it over the top of my existing acpi 2.22 install caused an immediate lockup at boot time whiile loading ibm1flpy.add. Played around a lot and found that I can get it to boot with ACPI 3.03 and /APIC but not in /PIC mode now - so exactly the reverse of how it was on 2.22!

I have found that Amouse 2.80 does not work with /SMP /APIC contrary to another posters findings. Any movement of my mouse required a power off/on to get the machine back. I've gone back to the IBM mouse driver which actually appears to work now (I originally installed amouse because the IBM one didn't!). Update: I had neglected to add the undocumented SMP parameter to the Amouse driver line - with it, it works in APIC mode.

I went straight for the most conservative settings and have yet to try playing to see which of these are required and which not:

PSD=acpi.PSD /SMP /APIC /R /NOD /ALS /TMR /CD

Maybe I'll try amending this to remove the /ALS /TMR /CD switches one by one to see which I can get away with. OTOH, maybe I'll just let sleeping dogs lie!

Eugene Gorbunoff
Site Admin

Postby Eugene Gorbunoff » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:49

Read the reply in the tracker:
http://svn.netlabs.org/acpi/ticket/136#preview

TrevorHemsley

Postby TrevorHemsley » Mon Oct 22, 2007 00:58

Eugene Gorbunoff wrote:Read the reply in the tracker:
http://svn.netlabs.org/acpi/ticket/136#preview

It boots fine in APIC mode using /SMP /APIC /R /NOD /CDwhich is great because I'd rather use APIC mode than PIC. The fact tha it wont now boot in PIC mode is a minor inconvenience at worst - not worth worrying about.

TrevorHemsley

Printing does not work in APIC mode

Postby TrevorHemsley » Wed Nov 07, 2007 22:51

Well /APIC works well with 3.03 but it crashes spectacularly if you try to print and have BASEDEV=PRINT01.SYS /IRQ specified in config.sys. TRAP 000d I think, details available on request!

Edit: removing /IRQ makes it work at the expense of CPU time but I don't print that often anyway so...

Return to “ACPI for eComStation”