2.17 disaster!

Discussion of ACPI driver (Power management, multi-processor support, PnP)
Alan Beagley

2.17 disaster!

Postby Alan Beagley » Wed Jan 24, 2007 23:40

My Dual-core AMD system (Asus A8N-E -- nVidia motherboard) was working fine with ACPI 2.16 and kernel 14.105 (from IBM's FixPack 6) on eCS 1.2R. And eCS 2.0 beta 3 also works fine in SMP mode with its default ACPI 2.15.

Today I tried ACPI 2.17 after reading all the documentation (i.e., not just copying the new 2.17 files over the earlier ones) and following the recommendations, including changing IRQs 3,5 and 7 to "Reserved" in the mobo BIOS.

The first problem was that I got the "No valid hardware" message from the GenMAC driver, but the system still booted to the desktop.

I then changed the IRQ settings back to "Auto", but I still got the "No valid hardware" message, AND instead of getting my familiar desktop I got the dreaded "The program pointed to by the Set RunWorkPlace= line in Config.sys, this file, could not be started. WinstartApp returned %1 ..." message. When I rebooted again without making any other changes I just got a blank desktop with a clock icon.

I have now restored from a backup (thank you, Back Again/2000 and my Sony tape drive) and am going to wait for reports from others or advice from Pasha before I dare to try 2.17 again.
Alan

Alan Beagley

Re: 2.17 disaster! -- I forgot to mention ...

Postby Alan Beagley » Thu Jan 25, 2007 14:17

Alan Beagley wrote:My Dual-core AMD system (Asus A8N-E -- nVidia motherboard) was working fine with ACPI 2.16 and kernel 14.105 (from IBM's FixPack 6) on eCS 1.2R. And eCS 2.0 beta 3 also works fine in SMP mode with its default ACPI 2.15.

Today I tried ACPI 2.17 after reading all the documentation (i.e., not just copying the new 2.17 files over the earlier ones) and following the recommendations, including changing IRQs 3,5 and 7 to "Reserved" in the mobo BIOS.

The first problem was that I got the "No valid hardware" message from the GenMAC driver, but the system still booted to the desktop.

I then changed the IRQ settings back to "Auto", but I still got the "No valid hardware" message, AND instead of getting my familiar desktop I got the dreaded "The program pointed to by the Set RunWorkPlace= line in Config.sys, this file, could not be started. WinstartApp returned %1 ..." message. When I rebooted again without making any other changes I just got a blank desktop with a clock icon.

I have now restored from a backup (thank you, Back Again/2000 and my Sony tape drive) and am going to wait for reports from others or advice from Pasha before I dare to try 2.17 again.

I forgot to mention that when I booted for the first time after installing ACPI 2.17 and did get my normal desktop (but with no networking) and ran Veit Kennegieser's PCI.EXE utility, it told me: "No PCI BIOS was detected."

I then tried "ACPIIRQ.EXE 1" and got a Trap 000d.
Alan

Eugene Gorbunoff
Site Admin

Postby Eugene Gorbunoff » Thu Jan 25, 2007 14:21

Are you using Bootable JFS? Trap.. damage of desktop.. it was necessary boot from CD and run chkdsk x: /f

Alan Beagley

Postby Alan Beagley » Thu Jan 25, 2007 15:36

Eugene Gorbunoff wrote:Are you using Bootable JFS? Trap.. damage of desktop.. it was necessary boot from CD and run chkdsk x: /f

No, I am not using bootable JFS at present.
Alan

Eugene Gorbunoff
Site Admin

Postby Eugene Gorbunoff » Thu Jan 25, 2007 15:46

try boot ACPI.PSD /!NOD <other switches>
and add acpica.add to config.sys - read ACPI troubleshooting.doc -> "11) Genmac or other Device driver doesn't see PCI device after boot of ACPI."

Eugene Gorbunoff
Site Admin

Postby Eugene Gorbunoff » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:19

Pasha adds:

Seems that we should debug new OEMHLP$ inside ACPI.
Please send us:
* boot without ACPI,
pci.exe >pci-before.log

* boot with ACPI
copy acpica$ acpi.log
pci.exe >pci-after.log

Send us the logs.

Pasha

Re: 2.17 disaster!

Postby Pasha » Sat Jan 27, 2007 17:39

Alan Beagley wrote:My Dual-core AMD system (Asus A8N-E -- nVidia motherboard) was working fine with ACPI 2.16 and kernel 14.105 (from IBM's FixPack 6) on eCS 1.2R. And eCS 2.0 beta 3 also works fine in SMP mode with its default ACPI 2.15.

In 2.17 was change default, see docs. So for nVidia nForce4 MB you need use APIC mode (now default is PIC) - /APIC

Return to “ACPI for eComStation”