I need new application -- remote installation of software

Which new applications for eComStation do you need? Какие новые программы для eComStation вам нужны ?
Eugene Gorbunoff
Site Admin

I need new application -- remote installation of software

Postby Eugene Gorbunoff » Sat Aug 02, 2008 19:15

Date: 20080802

Kim Cheung created WiseMachine, application to install software to remote computers in the network.

it's an important project:
* we can promote eCS as platform for large companies
* sometimes you are lazy to install software to other computers in your home network

Eugene Gorbunoff
Site Admin

Re: I need new application -- remote installation of software

Postby Eugene Gorbunoff » Tue Aug 05, 2008 00:43

Задание: Сделать систему установки программ на удаленный компутер

Why Wisemachine is dead?
* because it's necessary prepare every package for wisemachine

Digi added:
* send warpin package to remote PC
* how to pass a distribution pack? = по какому протоколу работать? как передавать дистрибутив? только в локальной сети?

Components:
* module: find remote computers
* module: Admin control center (select remote PC and install a package to it) = Есть программу управления
* module: daemon on every eCS PC = На каждой eCS должен быть демон.. висит, ждет запроса от сервера, что надо что-то установить.

Digi:
* не только send package но и управление варпином на том конце(цах)
* канал передачи надо шифровать
* самые не прияный момент ковырять варпин, IMHO

Joseph

Postby Joseph » Tue Aug 05, 2008 14:05

Может, сделать наоборот:
1. сервер,хранящий приложения и контролирующий их обновление
2. клиент eCS, который обращается к серверу и запрашивает обновления сверяясь с базой WarpIN
3. грузим по ftp-http-tftp обновление и запускаем его установку. Такой клиент может быть на рексе даже написан, как, впрочем, и сервер

Eugene Gorbunoff
Site Admin

Postby Eugene Gorbunoff » Wed Aug 06, 2008 00:47

Slogans
* "Новое средство распределенной инсталляции (установки)"
* "manages software installs"
* WiseMachine - технология для развертывания программ на компьютеры пользователей. ...
* network-managed client/network manager tool called "WiseMachine."
* eComStation features Wisemachine (TM), the industry's first implementation of Mobile Managed Client Technology.

WiseMachine Usage

source: http://www.scoug.com/os24u/2001/scoug009.mrkia.html

WiseMachine is new to most OS/2 users. It will take some time to get used to how it's organized and how you are supposed to use it. There is some documentation, but more needs to be written.

WiseMachine is good at redeploying the applications it knows about. It's a simple drag and drop operation to redeploy an application.

However, deploying an application is not the same as installing an application. When you deploy an application you are recreating the desktop objects and, possibly, updating config.sys entries. This is helpful if you have lost some desktop objects. However, it's only a subset of what needs to be done to install an application.

WiseMachine can install some applications, but is still a work in progress for consistent operation. To install an application, you need to know if WiseMachine can install the application and you need to know which menu to use. Many of the applications you will want to install will be found under the Utilities -> Selective Install menus. A few applications can be installed from the left-hand Application window.

When installing from the left-hand window, there is a problem with the "meat." This is WiseMachine's term for the actual application code. When you attempt to install an application from the Application window, WiseMachine will supply a default Source directory. This is where the "meat" is supposed to be. The default directory is rarely correct. You need to point WiseMachine at the "meat" which can be an adventure. Some meat is on the eCS CD's. Some you might have to provide yourself. None of this is fully documented.

None of these issues are show stoppers. They just make WiseMachine more difficult to use, than need be. Mr. KIA is hopeful that, in the near future, Serenity will release a WiseMachine update that corrects this.

Return to “I need new application / Хачу новую программу”