PianoPad and USB stick problems

PCM, Piano Launchpad, My Safe, Imagination, ..
cris

PianoPad and USB stick problems

Postby cris » Sun Sep 16, 2007 23:09

Hi, I have recently had problems with a 2Gb USB stick that never had problems.
The symptoms are: when I insert the stick, the system freezes. Sometimes if I remove the stick everything is back to normal... sometimes the system stays frozen. In this case the process list reports two unkillable copies of USBWARN.EXE. If I hit CAD a couple times to reboot, the system doesn't complete filesystem shutdown and doesn't reboot. Forcing reboot with a hard reset I get a checkdisk (dirty disks).

What about PianoPad? Well, when the system is frozen, if I hit CTRL-ESC a few times I get a popup saying that PianoPad is not responding. Usually this popup is not very informative, but in this case I got the same report about PianoPad all the times I had this kind of lockup. So I tried to stop PianoPad and then insert the USB stick. BINGO! The stick was correctly recognized and mounted. No system freeze.

I suspect the culprit is the "Drives" dynamic drawer. BTW, I still haven't had the time to verify it.

This but should be investigated and eventually corrected. I am now forced to stop PianoPad if I want to insert a USB stick (not every stick gives the problem... it seems only stick that carry LVM information give the problem). If I forget to stop pianopad, I am forced to a dirty reboot with a checkdisk on the next startup :-(

Bye
Cris

Eugene Gorbunoff
Site Admin

Postby Eugene Gorbunoff » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:00

This happens with any USB stick? Or one model? try re-partition it, etc.

cris

Postby cris » Tue Sep 25, 2007 13:17

Eugene,
I tried doing what you suggested, and I still have the problem.
BTW, now I am not completely sure it depends on PianoPad. It may be a problem with the latest ACPI releases (3.0x).
Do you think there may be problems with USB and ACPI?

Thankyou
Bye
Cris

Return to “WPS applications and extenders”